|St. Gertrude's - Woodstock
photo: Pax Vobis
St. Gertrude's Parish claims the distinction of having the first Catholic Church in New Brunswick.
A small chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected near Woodstock in 1717. Then, in 1836, a small church was built under the direction of Rev. William Dollard.
On October 8, 1841, St. Gertrude's Parish Church was built and served the Parish until destroyed by fire in March of 1925.
The current church, on a hill overlooking the St. John River, opened under the guidance of Rev. Francis Lockary.