Community Histories B
Bairdsville: Settlement on W side Saint John River, 3 mi. N of River de Chute: Andover Parish, Victoria County: John Baird (1795-1858) was an early settler: PO 1868-1924 with Henry Baird as first postmaster: in 1871 the community had a population of 200: in 1898 Bairdsville was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 1 store, 2 churches and a population of 125: today Bairdsville is a dispersed community.
[George Baird was a native of Graffa, County Monaghan, Ireland: came to NB as a young man with his brothers Henry Baird and Adam Baird: founded Bairdsville Carleton County: son George Baird Jr. m. Frances Jane Bishop. PANB:MC1156 Graves Papers: George Thomas Baird, 1 page.) [John Baird born 1795 in Graffa, Ireland, s/o William and Susan (Teel) Baird, d. 1858 near Sisson Ridge, NB, m. (1st) 30 Mar 1817 Annie Diggin of Dublin, Ireland born 1798, d. Feb 1836: had one son and two daughters, m. (2nd) c1837 – and had six children: they came to NB in 1818: first settled in Fredericton and later in Bairdsville, Andover Parish, Victoria County: children of first marriage, 1) William Teel Baird b. 1818 in Fredericton, m. 6 Jan 1842 Sarah Ann Shea d/o John Shea of Northampton, Carleton County: settled in Woodstock, NB: 2) Miss Baird d. young: 3) Miss Baird d. young. PANB:MC80/50 William T. Baird’s Seventy years of New Brunswick life, pages 3-7 and 101: see also PANB:MC1286 Volume VIII Dictionary of Canadian Biography, pages 42-43]
Balla Philip: Settlement, 3 mi. S of South Branch, on road to Bastarache: Weldford Parish, Kent County: named after Ballyphilip in County Tipperary, Ireland: PO 1910-1958: today Balla Philip is a dispersed community.
Ballyshannon: 1842, Former settlement established in 1842, 6 miles NW of Welsford.
Barnaby River: Settlement, 2 mi. E of Lower Barnaby and 4 mi. S of Nowlanville: Nelson Parish, Northumberland County: it was established by Irish immigrants in 1825: community takes its name from the river: PO 1871-1875, 1879-1961: in 1866 Barnaby River was a farming and a lumbering community with approximately 16 families: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of 500: in 1904 Barnaby River was a railway station and a settlement with 1 post office, 3 stores, 1 grist mill, 1 church and a population of 250: today it is a dispersed community.
Bartibog: Settlement on Bartibog River, 11 mi. NE of Chatham, on road to Jeanne-Mance: Newcastle Parish, Northumberland County: it was settled by immigrants from Scotland in 1812 and from Ireland in 1822: in 1815 Alexander MacDonald built a stately Georgian-style home which remains an historic building: PO 1857-1959: in 1866 Bartibog was a farming and lumbering community with approximately 87 resident families including 6 Corcoran, 7 McMahon and 7 Russell families: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of 200: in 1898 Bartibog had 1 post office, 1 store, 1 hotel, 1 church and a population of 100: today it is a dispersed community.
Baskin: See Clevelands (Cardwell Parish and Waterford Parish, Kings County).
Bean Brook: Flows SW into Saint John Harbour. Named for Thomas Bean (c.1744 – 1823) Loyalist from Ireland and New York.
Belledune: Settlement on Chaleur Bay, 3 mi. NW of Pointe-Verte, on road to Belledune River: Beresford Parish, Gloucester County and Durham Parish, Restigouche County: settled from Ireland in 1825 and from Scotland in 1832: PO from 1845: in 1866 it was a farming, fishing and lumbering community with approximately 40 resident families: in 1871 it had a population of 400: in 1904 Belledune was on the Intercolonial Railway and had 1 post office, 4 stores, 1 hotel, 2 churches and a population of 450: included the community of Turgeon: PO Turgeon 1905-1966: Belledune was incorporated as a village in 1968: today it is a deep-water harbour and site of an industrial complex.
Birdton: Settlement, 4 mi. NE of Burtts Corner and 5 mi. NW of Kingsley: Douglas Parish, York County: settled in 1824 by Bird families from Ireland: PO 1872-1917 with Robert Bird as first postmaster: also called Bird Settlement: in 1866 it was a farming community with about 26 families including James, John Sr., John Jr., Robert, Robert W., Samuel Sr. and Samuel Bird Jr: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Birdton had 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 75: today it is a dispersed.
[BIRD: Samuel Bird b. 1770 in Ireland, d. 1850, m. Letitia King b. 1773, d. 1868: came to NB in 1820’s: settled at Birdton, Douglas Parish, York County: children, 1) Robert Bird b. 1804, d. 1897, m. Charlotte Pugh: 2) Samuel Bird Jr. born 1807, m. Mary Douglas b. 1820, d. 1867: 3) James Bird b. – , d. 1869: 4) Margaret Bird b. 1811, m. John Lockhart: went west: 5) John Bird b. 1813, d. 1907, married Ellen Gorman b. 1826. PANB:MC1/Springer, 1 page.]
Black Rock: Settlement, 3 mi. SE of Pokeshaw: New Bandon Parish, Gloucester County: probably named for a place near Dublin, Ireland: settled in 1840 by Irish immigrants: in 1866 Black Rock was a farming settlement with approximately 13 resident families: PO 1878-1969: in 1898 Black Rock had 1 post office and a population of 250: today it is a dispersed community.
Blaney Ridge: Settlement, 3 mi. SW of Magundy, on the road to Magaguadavic: Prince William Parish, York County: settled in 1830 by immigrants who came from Ireland: William Blaney was a settler: PO Blayney Ridge 1869-1913: in 1871 the community had a population of 125: in 1898 it was a farming settlement with 1 post office and a population of 250: today Blaney Ridge is a dispersed community.
Boland Settlement: Former community, 5 mi. SE of Oromocto: Burton Parish, Sunbury County: named for Michael Boland who came from Ireland in 1848.
Boom Road:Settlement on N side Northwest Miramichi River, 2 mi. E of Sunny Corner, on the road to Whitney: Northesk Parish, Northumberland County: first called Allison Settlement: named for William Allison from Northern Ireland in 1810: renamed Boom Road in 1905: PO 1905-1967: today Boom Road is a dispersed community.
Boyne: Former community, 2 mi. S of Hoyt and 1 mi. N of Patterson Settlement: Blissville Parish, Sunbury County: PO 1901-1910 which served Boyne Road leading to Juvenile Settlement: became part of Hoyt.
Boyne: See Sand Brook (Blissville Parish, Sunbury County).