Cadman Corner: Settlement on Northumberland Strait, 3 mi. W of Murray Corner: Botsford Parish, Westmorland County: named for John Cadman who came from Ireland in 1826: included community of Grant: today Cadman Corner is a dispersed community.
Caissie Cape: Settlement, 1 mi. NE of Cocagne Cove and 2 mi. N of Bourgeois: Dundas Parish, Kent County: named for an Acadian family descended from Roger Kuessey, (Sasey, Caissy, Quessy) from Ireland, settler of Chignecto area in 1600s. Area grantees were Belony, Philip, Urban, Francis and Gabriel Caissie, Acadian settlers: PO 1931-1955: in 1898 it was a farming and fishing settlement with 1 lobster factory and a population of 200: today Caissie Cape or Cap-des-Caissie is a dispersed community.
Carlingford: Settlement, 3 mi. NW of Perth-Andover and 4 mi. N of Beaconsfield: Andover Parish, Victoria County: PO 1885-1942: named for Sir John Carling (1828-1911), MP and postmaster-general: in 1898 Carlingford was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 75: today it is a dispersed community.
Campbellton (Kavanaugh): 1816. PO from 1845. Incorporated as town 1888, as city 1958. Named by Robert Ferguson 1833, for Sir Archibald Campbell (1769-1843) Lieut.Gov. of NB 1831-1837. Earlier called Cavenick’s Point (or Kavanagh’s Point), named for a settler from Ireland in 1816; later Quinton’s Point; then Martin’s Point for a shipbuilder. In Micmac Wisiamkik, “muddy place” in reference to stirring of sediment there in the narrowing of the Restigouche. In 1700, site called Pointe-des-Sauvages. Probably site of Petite-Rochelle, Acadian village established in 1757, destroyed by British in 1760.
Carlow: Settlement, 3 mi. E of Bath, on road to Johnville: Kent Parish, Carleton County: Named for Carlow, Ireland, by Simon Commins, settler in 1861. PO 1867-1928: in 1898 Carlow was a community with 1 post office and a population of 100: it became part of South Johnville.
Carlow: Settlement, 2 mi. W of Clarks Corner, on road to Lakeville Corner: Canning Parish, Queens County: in 1866 Carlow was a farming community with approximately 6 resident families: also known as Maxwell Settlement: abandoned about 1903.
Carroll Ridge: Settlement, 3 mi. S of Canterbury: Canterbury Parish, York County: today Carroll Ridge is a dispersed community.
Carrolls Crossing: Settlement on S side of the Southwest Miramichi River, 3 mi. NE of McNamee, on road to Doaktown: Ludlow Parish, Northumberland County: settled in 1809: PO 1890-1970: in 1898 Carrolls Crossing was a flag station on Canada Eastern Railway and a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office and a population of 75: today it is a dispersed community.
Cassidy Lake: 10 miles S. of Sussex. Named for William Cassidy from Ireland. JNBHA 1820 Sedequist L; JNBHA 1831 Deforests Lake; Wilkinson 1859 Campbell’s L; Loggie 1901 Deforest La.
Chambers Settlement: Community, 3 mi. E of Waterford: Waterford Parish, Kings County: named for Thomas Chambers who came from Ireland about 1818: first called Chambersburg: in 1866 Chambersburg was a farming settlement with 12 families which included those of John, Moses, Moses M., and Thomas Chambers: renamed Chambers Settlement with creation of post office: PO 1881-1917: in 1898 it had 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 55: today Chambers Settlement is a dispersed community.
Chapmanville: Settlement along East Branch of Monquart Stream, 6 mi. NE of Johnville: Kent Parish, Carleton County: settled 1880 under Free Grants Act by those burned out by Saint John Fire of 1877: named for Father William Chapman (1845-1914), pastor at Johnville 1876-1891: today Chapmanville is a locality.
Chatham: Community on S side Miramichi River, 2 mi. E of Douglastown, on road to Loggieville: Chatham Parish, Northumberland County: founded in 1800 by Francis Peabody, a New Englander who moved from Maugerville on the Saint John River: community first called The Spruce Tree: then called Miramichi: PO Miramichi 1825-1843: settlement renamed Chatham in 1843 for William Pitt, father and son, who both became Earl of Chatham and Prime Minister of England: PO Chatham from 1843: in 1871 it had a population of 3,000: in 1898 Chatham was a seaport, a port of entry, a post, money order and postal note office, terminus of the Canada Eastern Railway and a town with 100 stores, 5 hotels, 2 steam sawmills, 2 sulphite pulp mills, 2 foundry and machine shops, 2 marine slips, 2 sash and door factories, 1 brick kiln, 3 carriage and sleigh factories, 3 printing offices, 7 churches and a population of 5,000: Chatham was incorporated as a town in 1896 and is now part of the city of Miramichi.
Cheyne Settlement: Community, 3 mi. W of Greenwich Hill, on road from Days Corner to Public Landing: Westfield Parish, Kings County: first called Hightle’s Corner for James Hightle: renamed for Robert Cheyne, a settler in 1843: PO Cheney Settlement 1885-1915: in 1904 it was a farming community with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 90: it was abandoned about 1940: today Cheyne Settlement is a locality. ( Robert Cheney – Date of Entry 1831- Methodist – 1851 Irish Census).
Clair: Settlement on E side Saint John River, 4 mi. E of Saint-François-de-Madawaska, on the road to Caron Brook: Clair Parish, Madawaska County: first called Middle St. Francis: PO Middle St. Francis 1867-1892: in 1871 it had a population of 60: renamed for Peter Clair (1817-1902), from County Clare, Ireland: PO Clair from 1892: in 1898 Clair was a port of entry, a station (called Clair’s Station) on Temiscouta Railway and a community with 1 post office, 3 stores, 1 hotel, 1 sawmill, 1 church and a population of 200: Clair was incorporated as a village in 1966.
Clair Parish: Madawaska County: created from Saint-François Parish in 1900: named for Peter Clair (1817-1902), who came from County Clare, Ireland.
Claudie Settlement: Former community, 2 mi. E of Douglas, on road to Nashwaaksis: Douglas Parish, York County: now part of Fredericton. Either Clady or Clody.
Clones: Settlement above River George, 10 mi. E of Central Blissville and 12 mi. N of Welsford: Petersville Parish, Queens County: named for Clones, County Monaghan, Ireland from where Johnston Cooper, first postmaster, came: PO 1869-1911: in 1866 Clones was a farming community with approximately 58 resident families: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of 200: in 1898 Clones had 1 post office, 1 store and a population of 75: area is now part of CFB Gagetown.
Codys: Settlement on Washademoak Lake, 1 mi. S of Washademoak: Johnston Parish, Queens County: James William Cody was an Irish immigrant who settled in 1819: PO from 1872 with Charles F. Cody as first postmaster: in 1898 Codys was a station on the Central Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 2 hotels, 2 stores, 1 sawmill and a population of 150: today it is a dispersed community.
Coleraine: Settlement, 3 mi. S of Fairfield: Simonds Parish, Saint John County: named for Coleraine, Northern Ireland from where a number of local families emigrated: today it is a dispersed community.
Connell: Settlement on W side of Saint John River, 3 mi. E of Florenceville, on road to Simonds: Simonds Parish, Carleton County: first called Presque Isle: PO Presque Isle 1851-1862: renamed when new post office was created: PO Connell 1879-1912: in 1898 Connell was a settlement with 1 post office, 2 churches and a population of 100: today it is a dispersed community.
Connors: Settlement on the E side Saint John River, 4 mi. SW of Pelletiers Mill: Saint-François Parish, Madawaska County: was first called Upper St. Francis: PO Upper St. Francis 1871-1893: renamed for Robert Connors (1835-1895), from Nova Scotia: PO Connor 1893-1947: in 1898 it was a station on the Temiscouta Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 2 stores, 1 hotel, 1 sawmill, 2 churches and a population of 200: PO Connors 1947-1958: today it is a dispersed community.
Connorsville: Former settlement in Kings County: in 1866 Connorsville was a farming community with approximately 34 resident families including that of William Connor: PO 1855-1869.
Cootes Hill or Cootehill Ridge: Settlement, 9 mi. N of Welsford, on the road from New Jerusalem to Headline: Petersville Parish, Queens County: settled in early 1800’s by immigrants from Cootehill, County Cavan, Ireland: now within CFB Gagetown.
Cork: Settlement, 2 mi. N of Cork Station: Manners Sutton Parish, York County: settled 1842 by Irish immigrants: first known as Teetotal Settlement because many settlers had taken the pledge in Ireland: later renamed Cork: included settlement of Acton: today Cork is a dispersed community. (click here for more on Cork…)
Cork: See Gillespie Settlement (Grand Falls Parish, Victoria County).
Cork Station: Settlement, 4 mi. W of Rooth and 2 mi. S of Cork: Manners Sutton Parish, York County: PO 1870-1967: in 1871 Cork was a station on the European and North American Railway: the community and surrounding district had a population of 350: in 1898 Cork Station was a station on the Intercolonial Railway and a farming community with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 church and a population of 150: today Cork Station is a dispersed community.
Cornwall: Settlement, 2 mi. W of Highfield and 2 mi. E of Salmon Creek: Johnston Parish, Queens County: first settler was a Cornwall from Ireland, discharged from British Army: today Cornwall is a locality.
Coronary Lake: 1837, NW of Loch Alva. Named by William Mahood c1837, probably for Corraneary Lake in County Cavan, Ireland.
Coughlan: Settlement on S side Southwest Miramichi River, 4 mi. NE of Blackville, on the road to Gray Rapids: Blackville Parish, Northumberland County: it was first called Becketville: renamed in 1880 for several settlers named Coughlan: PO Coughlan 1880-1958: in 1898 Coughlan was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office and a population of 100: today it is a dispersed community.
Culligan: Settlement on Chaleur Bay, 1 mi. W of Belledune River, on road to Armstrong Brook: Beresford Parish, Gloucester County: PO 1912-1970 with John Culligan as first postmaster: became part of Belledune.
Culligan Siding: Station and settlement, 1 mi. SW of Belledune River, on Canadian National Railway line to Armstrong Brook: Durham Parish, Restigouche County: became part of Belledune.