Return

Community Histories
H

Hamilton Mountain: Settlement, 5 mi. NW of Oak Point and 1 mi. NW of Hampstead/ Greenwich parish boundary on road to Jerusalem: Hampstead Parish, Queens County: Andrew Hamilton, settler from Ireland, 1821: in 1871 it had a population of 50: PO 1883-1954 with J. Hamilton as first postmaster: in 1898 Hamilton Mountain was a post office and a farming settlement with a population of 50: now within CFB Gagetown.

Hampton: Settlement on Kennebecasis River, 2 mi. NE of Lakeside and 3 mi. SW of Passekeag: Hampton Parish, Kings County: PO Hampton from 1831: in 1866 Hampton was a farming community with about 70 resident families: in 1871 it had a population of 250: in 1904 Hampton was a summer resort and a settlement with 1 post office, 3 stores, 3 hotels, 1 match factory, 1 saw and grist mill, 3 churches and a population of 800: included community of Hampton Ferry: PO Hampton Ferry 1852-c1885: in 1871 Hampton Ferry had a population of 150: included settlement of Ossekeag: named by European and North American Railway in 1858: PO 1859-1916: in 1866 Ossekeag was a farming community with approximately 46 resident families: : in 1871 Ossekeag had a population of 300: in 1904 it was a station on the Intercolonial Railway, a junction on the Hampton and St. Martins Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 7 stores, 1 hotel, 1 machine shop, 4 churches and a population of 500: included the community of Hampton Station: PO Hampton Station 1916-1969: included Woodpecker Hall: named by settlers for a home in Ireland: was formerly called Nason’s Vale for Simon Nason, a settler: in 1866 Woodpecker Hall was a farming community with about 21 families: it became part of Hampton Station and then Hampton: Hampton was incorporated as a village in 1966 and today it is a town.

Hamtown Corner: Settlement, 7 mi. NW of Royal Road, on road to Tay Creek: Douglas Parish, York County: settled about 1820 by Irish, and later by Welsh immigrants from adjacent settlement of Cardigan: PO 1862-1917: in 1866 it was a farming community with about 9 families including 3 Richards and 3 Smith families: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of 150: in 1898 Hamtown Corner had 1 post office and a population of 50: today it is a dispersed community.

Haneytown: Settlement, 3 mi. S of Oromocto and 4 mi. N of Geary: Burton Parish, Sunbury County: formerly known as Farnham Settlement named for Ebenezer Farnham who settled in 1815: also included the community of Dunlop: in 1866 Haneytown was a farming settlement with approximately 11 families including Hugh, James, Michael and William Haney: today it is a dispersed community.

Hanwell: Settlement, 8 mi. SW of Fredericton: Kingsclear Parish, York County: PO 1861-1916: named by Thomas Baillie who was born at Hanwell, West London, England, and who brought Irish immigrants about 1825: in 1866 Hanwell was a farming community with approximately 52 resident families: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of 300: in 1898 Hanwell was a farming settlement with 1 post office and a population of 100: included community of Upper Hanwell: PO Upper Hanwell 1911-1916: today Hanwell is a dispersed community.

Hayesville: Settlement, 3 mi. W of Holtville, on road to Bloomfield Ridge: Stanley Parish, York County: Peter Hayes, an Irish settler who arrived about 1821: included Campbell Settlement: also included Tugtown, 2 mi. NW of Hayesville: named for the rapids in the Southwest Miramichi River: PO Hayesville 1889-1947: in 1904 Hayesville was a settlement with 1 post office and a population of 50: today it is a dispersed community.

Hibernia: Settlement, 3 mi. W of Central Hampstead: Hampstead Parish, Queens County: settled by Irish immigrants about 1810: first called New Ireland: in 1866 New Ireland was a farming community with approximately 18 families: name changed when post office was created: PO Hibernia 1871-1953: in 1866 Hibernia was a farming settlement with approximately 20 families: in 1898 Hibernia had 1 post office, 1 store, 1 church and a population of 100: now within CFB Gagetown.

Hibernia: Former settlement in Black River area, 12 mi. E of Saint John: Simonds Parish, Saint John County: was settled by Irish immigrants about 1830: in 1866 Hibernia was a farming and shipbuilding community with approximately 8 families.

Hibernia: See Emigrant Settlement (Hampstead Parish, Queens County)

Hibernia: See Fairhaven (West Isles Parish, Charlotte County) 1848, In Passamaquoddy Bay. In 1848 many Irish immigrant were quarantined there with a fever, 48 of whom died and were buried there. In passamaquoddy Tsanegook, meaning unknown.

Hibernia Cove:At Deer Island. Probably named by settlers from Ireland. On Owen 1845

Hibernia Settlement: 7 mi. N of Minto. Settled c1835 by immigrants from Ireland. Also known as Emigrant Settlement.

Hopewell Parish: Albert County: established as a Nova Scotia township in 1765 and as a New Brunswick parish in 1786: possibly named for Hopewell, Pennsylvania, home of some of the first settlers, and possibly for the ship that brought settlers from Ireland in 1761: Hopewell Parish included Harvey Parish until 1838.

Hospital Island: In Passamaquoddy Bay. In 1848 many Irish Immigrants were quarantined there with the fever.

Hoyt: Settlement, 5 mi. S of Central Blissville and 2 mi. N of Patterson: Blissville Parish, Sunbury County: was named for William Hoyt, an early settler: PO Hoyt Station 1878-1963: in 1898 Hoyt Station was a station on the Canadian Pacific Railway and a community with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 grist mill, 1 church and a population of 75: included community of Boyne, 2 mi. S of Hoyt: PO Boyne 1901-1910 which served Boyne Road leading to Juvenile Settlement: also included Patterson Settlement, 2 mi. E of Hoyt: Walter, William and Andrew Patterson, from County Donegal, Ireland, settled about 1840: PO 1866-1915: in 1898 Patterson Settlement had 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 75: PO Hoyt from 1963: today Hoyt is a dispersed community.

Hurley Corner: Settlement, 2 mi. N of Cork: Manners Sutton Parish, York County: in 1842 Daniel Hurley was a settler from Ireland: PO 1909-1918: today Hurley Corner is a locality.