Return
 

 

Community Histories
M

 

Magundy: Settlement, 5 mi. SW of Lake George, on the road to Magaguadavic: Prince William Parish, York County: settled about 1820 from Ireland: PO 1861-1969 was 2 mi. NE of Magundy at Pokiok Stream: in 1866 Magundy was a farming settlement with about 5 families: in 1871 it had a population of about 150: in 1898 Magundy had 1 post office, 1 store, 1 church and a population of 150: today it is a dispersed community.

Mahood Brook: Flows SE from Disappointment Lake to North Branch Lepreau River. Named by W.F. Roberts 1970 for William Mahood who surveyed the area in 1837. (William Mahood – Date of Entry 1818 – From Co. Cavan)

Malden: Settlement, 3 mi. E of Melrose, on road to Cape Tormentine: Botsford Parish, Westmorland County: was settled 1835 by Irish immigrants: PO Emigrant Road 1867-1901: named for emigration of Acadians to P.E.I., 1749-1755, via this road: in 1871 it had a population of 100: in 1898 Emigrant Road was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 250: community was renamed: PO Malden 1901-1948: in 1904 Malden was a farming and lumbering settlement on New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Railway with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of about 200: included Causeway Spur, a railway point: today Malden is a dispersed community.

Martin Siding: Settlement on E side Saint John River, 2 mi. SE of Bellefleur, on road to Powers Creek: Saint-Léonard Parish and Saint-André Parish, Madawaska County: the Martins were Irish settlers whose original surname was “Kilmartin”: PO St. Leonard 1863-1900: PO Martin’s 1900-1937 with Patrick Martin as the first postmaster: today Martin Siding is a dispersed community.

McCafferty Settlement: See Middle Simonds (Simonds Parish, Carleton County)

McCarthy’s Point: Former settlement on Maces Bay, 1 mi. S of Pocologan: Pennfield Parish, Charlotte County.

McCormack Cove: Adjacent to Kennebecasis Island. Grantees in the 1830s were John and Ralph McCormick.

McCluskey Settlement: Community, 2 mi. N of Gillespie Settlement: Grand Falls Parish, Victoria County: Charles M. McCluskey was a settler who came from Ireland in 1847: PO McCluskey 1908-1948 with W.N. McCluskey as first postmaster: became part of Colebrooke West, then Grand Falls.

McFarlane Settlement: Former community, 3 mi. SE of Long Creek, on the road to Kierstead Mountain: Johnston Parish, Queens County: it was settled about 1825 by McFarlanes from Ireland: in 1866 McFarlane Settlement was a farming community with approximately 9 resident families.

McKenna: Railway point, 2 mi. NE of Newburg Junction, on Canadian Pacific Railway line to Lower Brighton: Brighton Parish, Carleton County.

McKinley Ferry: Station and ferry, until 1967, on W side of Saint John River, 5 mi. NE of Kingsclear, E of Kingsclear Indian Reserve #5: Kingsclear Parish, York County: Daniel McKinley was postmaster at Lower French Village in 1861: formerly called Burgoins Ferry in 1817, then Crocks Point Ferry, then Lunts Ferry for E.C. Lunt, a settler in 1870. (Daniel McKinley was from Co. Antrim

McMorris Brook: Flows NW into Fox Creek and Shemogue Harbour. Named for Matthew McMorris, Settler 1823 from Ireland.

Melrose: Settlement, 2 mi. N of Upper Cape, on the road to Port Elgin: Botsford Parish, Westmorland County: first called Savagetown for William, John, Patrick and Dennis Savage who were settlers about 1827: community was renamed in 1855: PO Emigrant Settlement 1855-1890: in 1866 Emigrant Settlement was a farming and lumbering set- tlement with approximately 95 resident families including 9 Allen families: in 1871 it had a population of 200: it was renamed in 1890 for Melrose, Scotland: PO Melrose 1890-1968: in 1898 Melrose was a station on the New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 1 store and a population of 200: to- day Melrose is a dispersed community.

Middle Island: In Miramichi River. Site of Quarantine Station

Middle Simonds: Settlement on Saint John River, 2 mi. SW of Simonds: Simonds Parish, Carleton County: PO 1852-1913: included McCafferty Settlement: in 1866 McCafferty Settlement was a farming community with approximately 12 resident families including Dennis and John McCafferty: it included Palmer Settlement: in 1866 Palmer Settlement was a farming community with 22 families including Jacob, Leonard, Marcus, Thomas and William Palmer: it included Prosser Settlement: in 1866 Prosser Settlement was a farming community with approximately 6 resident families including Silas Prosser: in 1866 Middle Simonds was a farming settlement with about 56 resident families: in 1898 it had 1 post office, 1 store, 3 churches and a population about 200: in 1871 Middle Simonds and surrounding district had a population of 450.

Milford: Settlement, 1 mi. NW of Fairville: Lancaster Parish, Saint John County: in 1875 it was called St. Marysville: settlement was renamed when post office was established: PO Milford 1878-1949: in 1898 Milford was a farming and lumbering community with 1 post office, 5 stores, 2 steam sawmills, 1 church and a hall and a population of about 500: Milford also included Pleasant Point which in 1871 had a population of 300: PO 1896-1950: in 1898 Pleasant Point was a lumbering settlement with 1 post office, 2 saw -mills and a population of about 350: also included Kingsville: in 1904 Kingsville was a lumbering community with 1 large sawmill, 4 stores, 1 hall and a population of 300: Milford is now in Saint John, 3 mi. W of city centre. (Milford Co. Donegal)

Mount Theobald: Former settlement, 10 mi. N of St. Martins, on the road to Hillsdale: Hammond Parish, Kings County: was settled about 1843: possibly named for Father Theobald Matthew, an Irish temperance reformer: settlement abandoned about 1900.

Mullen Stream: 1800, Flows NE into South Branch Big Sevogle. Probably named for a lumberman. Patrick Mullen settled at Wayerton c1800 from Ireland. Mullin Stream Lake is at the head of the stream.

Murphy Corner: Settlement, 2 mi. NE of Johnville: Kent Parish, Carleton County: today Murphy Corner is a dispersed community.

Murphy Settlement: Community, 1 mi. NE of South Saint-Norbert: Saint Mary Parish, Kent County: today Murphy Settlement is a dispersed community.