John Dean born about 1785 in Ireland, d. after 1851. He came to NB in 1819 and settled at Lyttleton, then Red Bank in South Esk Parish, Northumberland County, m. Margaret – .
1) Christina Dean b. c1828, m. Angus McDonald born c1815
2) John Dean Jr. born c1832.
PANB:MC80/359 W.D. Hamilton’s Old North Esk: Revised, page 117.
Also see Northumberland County census returns.
The couple had twelve children:
1) Mary Dean m. George Harkins of Sussex
2) Margaret Dean married Hugh Cummings of Sussex
3) Jane Dean m. Luke Burke of Sussex
4) Catherine Dean m. Charles Gallagher
5) Bridget Dean m. John E. Ryan of Norton
6) Nancy Dean m. John McDonald of Saint John
7) Ellen Dean d. at age 24
8) Peter Dean Jr. b. – , d. 1881, m. Mary A. Coffee d/o Andrew and Lucy Coffee of Amherst, NS: settled in Saint John and had three children.
9) Rose Dean
10) Hannah Dean married John Welch of Saint John
11) William Dean: went to Maisoneuve, Quebec
12) Thomas Dean b. 15 Oct 1853 in Sussex, NB.
PANB:MC80/1 Grace Aiton’s The story of Sussex and vicinity, page 60.
See also PANB:MC80/338 I. Allen Jack’s Biographical Review, pages 517-518.