Peter McSweeney, born in Kenmare, Kerry, Ireland, died Dec 1876. He emigrated to NB in 1837 and first settled in Hillsborough, Albert County, then went to Moncton, Westmorland County. He married Joanna Downing, born – , died 4 Apr 1876.
1) Peter McSweeney Jr. b. 11 Apr 1842 Moncton, d. 2 Feb 1921, m. 1872 Mrs. Wilhelmina (Smith) Fisher, a native of Scotland, widow of H. Peter Fisher of Saint John, NB, b. 1840, d. 17 Sep 1921: settled in Moncton: had one son and two daughters
2) Milcah McSweeney m. Henry Young: went to Mexico
3) Mary McSweeney married Edgar L. Newhouse and moved to Mexico
4) Lucy McSweeney m. J.J. Walker: settled in Moncton, NB
5) Ellen McSweeney
6) Agnes McSweeney
7) Joanna McSweeney
8) Kate McSweeney
9) Edward McSweeney: he also settled in Moncton
10) John McSweeney: settled in Moncton, NB
11) Thomas McSweeney: settled in Moncton
12) Jane McSweeney m. George Young: moved to Georgia then to NY
13) George McSweeney b. 22 Jan 1859 in Moncton, m. Sep 1887 Beatrice Lefurgey d/o John Lefurgey of Summerside, PEI: this family settled in Moncton and had two children.
PANB:MC80/90 E.W. Larracey’s The first hundred: history of Moncton, pages 127-128.
See also PANB:MC1156 Graves Papers: Peter McSweeney, 1 page.
See PANB: MC80/338 I. Allen Jack’s Biographical Review, pages 175-179.