John Connell, born in Ireland c1787, and his wife, Ellen (Quinn), born in Ireland c1796, married in Ireland c1810, emigrated from Ireland (possibly from Glanmire) to Saint Peters (Bathurst), New Brunswick in 1823 with their eight children. Oral family history indicates that there was 17 families from that ship that were housed with area French families for the first winter.
They initially settled and received a grant of land on the Dunlop Road, Beresford Parish. In the mid 1830’s the family settles on the south side of the Nigadoo River where Francis receives a grant of land and where descendants still reside today.
Children from John & Ellen were:
1. Ann, born Ireland c1810 / married William Walsh 19 Oct. 1826
2. Mary, born Ireland c1812 / married Daniel Bracket 21 Aug.1827
3. Margaret, born Ireland c1813 / married Simon Wheeler 13 July 1830
4. Francis, born Ireland c1815 / married Fanny Hurley
5. John, born Ireland c1816 / married Mary Cunningham 23 Feb. 1852
6. Ellen, born Ireland c1817 / married John Driscoll 3 March 1840
7. Johanna, born Ireland c1819 / married Donald Stewart 29 Nov. 1832
8. Catherine, born Ireland c1822, died 1828
9. George, born New Brunswick 1826
See “The O’Connells of Nigadoo” 1985, 72pgs. Collection of the New Brunswick Legislative Library
Thomas O’Connell, born 1812 at Limerick, Ireland, died 1868. He married Annie Reardon, born 1811 in Ireland, died 19 Sep 1895. The family came to NB in 1840 and settled in Saint John.
children who died before 1900 were:
1) John O’Connell
2) William O’Connell
3) Ellen O’Connell
4) Annie O’Connell
children alive in 1900 were:
5) Bartholomew O’Connell: settled in Saint John
6) David O’Connell b. Dec 1850, m. (1st) 1875 Bridget Forrest b. – , d. Oct 1888: had four children: m. (2nd) 14 Nov 1890 Mary Burns: also settled in Saint John
7) James O’Connell: settled in Saint John
8) Mary O’Connell m. Thomas Kenney of Saint John
9) Nora O’Connell m. William Finney
10) Catherine O’Connell married Robert Robertson of Philadelphia, PA.
PANB:MC80/338 I. Allen Jack’s Biographical Review, pages 239-240.